Friday, November 2, 2007

Clearly, you've never been to Singapore.

. . . wait a minute, that doesn't apply anymore!

Yes, I'm in Singapore.

I'd been attempting all week to get some help from the school's staff with my visa issues. There's a person on staff who's sole job is to deal with visas for the foreigners. After repeated emails, missing her, and then finally learning that she'd be in Pattaya the rest of the week . . . . I lost it, just a little. Thank god for Amir, our violin teacher. Currently my favorite person in the world. He knew a place to stay in Singapore, and helped me research things. I had to leave school right after 3 yesterday (thursday), run home and pack fast, and sprint off to the airport so I could buy the airplane tickets. I do like Asia Air these days. I got into Singapore at 10pm, and made my way to the hostel. It's pretty nice, all sorts of travellers, and there's a basic free breakfast of eggs and bread :D And free internet- in fact, the best signal I've gotten on this side of the world.

I went to the embassy this morning, handed over my passport, photo, application, and 50 Singapore dollars. I go back on Monday at 2, hopefully with a 60-day visa that I won't have to deal with again. I fly back to Bangkok at 8pm on Monday. Between now and then, I've no clue what to do with myself. I want to do a little shopping- I already did some this morning. There was a BORDERS, a big beautiful Borders with lots of beautiful books. I restrained myself and only got the lastest Clive Cussler paperback. There was a new one, about ten dollars more, but I didn't need it. Also bought a couple little accessories at the 'apple store' here. There was a guy in there who had moved here recently from America. I was hedging over buying an adaptor cable- and he told me to go for it. He said it's so much cheaper here, that it's worth buying things here. I want to look for clothes, a couple dresses I can wear to these fancy concerts we have coming up. I think I'll have better luck here than Bangkok, because the women here AREN'T all as skinny as toothpicks. :D

That's the other thing that's nice about Singapore- everything's in English, most people speak English. It feels almost indulgent to be able to go anywhere and talk to anyone, to be able to read all the signs. What a luxury!! It's almost like being back home, except for the heat and humidity, and funny taxis. The Burger King here is just as bad as the Burger King at home. I'd forgotten how much I hate Burger King, having not eaten there in probably 4 years. Whoops, now I remember. Dinner should be better- the hostel's in Little India- there's a mosque down the street- and there's lots of indian food around. Yum!

I'm gonna find a grocery store, and anything else I can see. But hoo boy am I tired!!

No comments: