Friday, December 14, 2007

Today is the last day of school. We had a class and a half, and now it's break, and then we have assembly, and that's it. And then I come home in a week.

It's strange, saying goodbye to students and friends. It's not like people from back home, where I can drive four hours and see them, or at the worst drive across the country. Estonia, Romania, Germany, New Zealand, UK. Being here makes the world feel very small, like anything is possible. And now it feels so very big and vast and insurmountable.

Christ on a bike, I just signed withdrawl forms for two students. And there were two more yesterday. Dave is going to New Zealand, Olivia is going back to Korea, Sachiko back to Japan, and I forget where the other boy was going. I never moved as a child; there were a couple kids I went to kindergarten with that I graduated high school with. It's not like I was in a small town and there were only 200 kids. But I can't fathom moving a lot. A kid needs a home, a rock, a place to belong to. I suppose it's possible to move a lot and still have that family stability. But on the other hand, you're never somewhere long enough to forge deep relationships, to learn the way and move up in ranks to become a leader in your community.


-It's almost noon, we just had assembly. Heath dressed up as Santa Claus, only the pillow padding was a little iffy- looked like Santa had rather perky double Ds.

Sigh. I can't even articulate how I'm feeling right now. Maybe I'll try later.

No comments: