Friday, August 31, 2007

'1-2-3-and-4'

It's been a very long week.

We had the last day of inset on Monday, with meetings. Meetings, and more meetings. Then we could finally get started doing something. The kids arrived on Tuesday morning, and after a bit of assembly, got right down to classes. Since then, I haven't left school any earlier than 5:30 each night- and one night I didn't get home until 8! I don't really find that all that strange, because I'm used to being at school late. In high school, I always had music or theatre rehersals until at least 5 or 6. A couple memorable times, when I was doing the musical and marching band at the same time, I was at school until 8:30 or 9. Each night. Most of the other teachers here, including two of the other music teachers, leave as soon as they can, when 3:30 rolls around. And there aren't that many after school activities that last long, so it's understandable. But still . . .

And to why we're here so long? The music department is a bit of a mess. We can't find any records from the past 3 or so years. We've found a few scattered programs, old tests, that sort of things from Mr. Jones, who left in 2004 I believe. Even the head of music email address still has his 'signature' on it. The last guy, nothing. Instruments are missing, we have no clue who was in the orchestra last year or who plays anything. It's almost like the guy didn't do anything. I mean, he has to have done something, but there's no record of it at all besides some pictures on a bulletin board.


I know I'm getting used to the heat, because I turned the aircon off because I'm too cold!

In addition to the lack of organization, I'm having a bit of a clash with the British curriculum. Or rather, I suppose, the interpretation of it. I had a look at a few websites before I left home, and the standards were just about the same. The curriculum . . . . Here's an example. The IGCSE book? Contains all of 1600-1900 in about five pages. That's Mozart, Bach, Beethoven . . .all of it. And then later on there's 15 pages detailing the history of electronica. It's not that the subject matter is wrong, at all. I just disagree with the interpretation, and the allocation of time moreso on certain things, and not others. Just veery diffrent than what I consider well-balanced, at least at first view.

I could go on longer, but I'm tired after this week. A lot of what I saw was regurgitation, honestly. They have to know four pieces for the A-level exam- and I think that's all they're expecting to study. In my experience, if you're studying the Baroque period, you'd look at as many examples of Baroque music as possible. These kids know the terms, know the pieces. But I think if we showed them a similar yet not the same piece of music, they'd be at a loss to discuss it. I don't think the knowledge is transferrable. I mean, it's only the first week, and these kids have SO much potential. By the end of my time here I want them to realize that life is not just a test- I want them to find the beauty in it!

It's been nice this week, a few good storms. I like thunderstorms, so that's good. It was just pelting down last night! I got caught in a storm last sunday at a market nearby my apartment. The sky lit up and then the crash was so loud, everyone jumped. And of course it was the one time that I didn't have my umbrella with me. The thing about Thailand is that a lot of buildings have tile floors outside. And they're very slippery when wet. Tell me, how is that logical when it rains every day? I've been slipping and sliding a lot, and I actually fell this morning outside the staff room. My right leg went forward, and the left leg, my foot kinda bent backwards, and my knee met the tile in a not-so-nice way. It's not going to feel good tonight.

Wednesday I got to go to the opera! One of our year 13 students was playing in the pit orchestra, and he had complimentary tickets. Kraig and I were in row G. The main floor, 7th row back. Free. It was Madama Butterfly, and pretty good, especially for Thailand. And really good, considering half the pit was high school students. Not perfect, like an opera company back home, but what an experience for a student! I couldn't do that back home, go play in the CSO! It was interesting though, an opera set in Japan, written by an Italian, Puccini, performed in Thailand, with English subtitles along with the Thai ones. It was partially performed in the Kabuki style, with these people in all black, holding props and moving set pieces. They looked like ninjas, with head coverings in black and all. I guess in Japan, people just ignore them and don't think anything of it. It was neat.

Tomorrow I'm 'chaperoning' the boarding girls to a trip to the Esplanade. It's a big shopping mall with a movie theater, bowling alley, ice rink, and a lot of neat things. It's also right near a lot of other stores. The boarding staff can't go, so I volunteered. Why not, free trip where I don't have to pay for the taxi! Not like the taxis are expensive, but still . . . I'm cheap. :D There are several girls here from Armenia and Estonia, studying and living at the school. The school's chairman was an ambassador to those countries before, so he sort of sponsors them. They get the experience of coming here, and the thai students get to meet international students.

And what else am I doing this weekend? NOT MUCH. I want food that's not from the school canteen- although I adore the food here, best food from a school EVER- but I want some more of those little I think corn cake things, and some dumplings . . .food. :D and rest, I think some lounging by the pool? :D

No comments: